Saturday, March 31, 2012

Flying and Serenity


Good evening, friends! It’s been another wonderful couple of weeks for me here and I’m excited to catch you all up on my adventures!

First off, I’ve been absolutely loving the babies I play with in the mornings. One of the best moments was when I walked in and they immediately smiled and ran up to play; they are beginning to recognize me and I’ve been able to pick up on their distinct personalities and am more able to respond appropriately. These moments only reinforce my decision to stay for a longer duration than most volunteers, so that I may have a lasting influence and provide more stability in the kids’ lives. I think that is extremely important to the overall welfare of them, especially with building a strong moral compass. I think  that is one of the more difficult aspects of this work, because in India and Tibet beating is a common reaction of caregivers, for even the smallest things. We actually had a conversation the other day with the full-time staff, and they were amazed that we don’t do the same, and would even get punished for it. Trying to work within that confine, then, is difficult but I think we do a good job.

I had been a little stressed recently about my ‘office’ work in the afternoons, but I have graciously been given reprieve from that with the news that Rogpa does, in fact, already have enough books for the library they want to open in less than a month. The work that I am doing is simply to get the entire scope of Tibetan children’s literature that’s available for them. With this in mind, then, I’ve decided to expand my project a bit for them and make an index of the literature they do have, compare it with the database I’m currently making, and procure a simple list for them of the remaining books they need. In the meantime, the building the library will be in should be completed (no, it’s not complete yet, but the skeleton from last week has at least been filled in) in two weeks, which means we have less than two weeks to paint, decorate and populate the library with furniture and books in time for the grand opening. I’m also doing some extra projects for Pema and Young, particularly coming up with info blurbs that will be on the tags of products they sell in the Rogpa café and shop, and my current project: contacting a publisher for the rights to use the words and artwork in one of their books in order to make postcards of Tibetan proverbs written in Tibetan and English. In fact, I’m also compiling a separate list in conjunction with my literature list, of all of the publishing companies of the books I already have compiled. So far, I’m at close to forty companies. Once all the literature is documented, I will contact each of these companies, list the books we already have documented, and request info for any more they might have. There’s also the matter of seeking collaboration on illustration projects from Tibetan artists, etc. Basically, I have my hands full. And I couldn’t be happier. My first couple of weeks here really felt like vacation, but it’s wonderful to have realized my purpose here and be spending the time to fulfill that purpose. I truly believe this is where I am meant to be and that these are the people I’m meant to help. My work is making a great difference, and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to help.

In other news…. Today, I leapt off a mountain and flew.

My friends and I are currently in Bir, the ‘paragliding capital of India’, and also the home of Dawa’s family. Bir is essentially a village in a valley, surrounded by snow-capped mountains. We arrived Friday evening and took a walk out of the village, into the tea fields and just soaked in the sunset behind the peaks. This place is serenity exemplified. It’s so quiet. As ridiculous as this sounds, Bir is to Dharamsala, as Dharamsala is to Delhi. Delhi is just a cacophony of noise, odor, and filth. Dharamsala is quieter, less smelly, and slightly cleaner. With mountains. Bir is silent, pure of air and pristine by comparison. It screams nature; it screams holiness; it screams God. Oh, to live here. But I can’t do that; rather, I don’t know if I will ever be back. Part of me wants to say that I absolutely will, and a greater part of me hints that I never will. The girls are just as captivated as I am, perhaps even more enchanted, especially with the array of massive temples here (seriously; the Dalai Lama should move here. I have no idea why he’s in Mcleod Ganj when he could be in a place like this.), and they’re already making plans, clamoring to get back here. I understand, but I almost feel that, for myself, I’d be cheapening the experience, not really soaking in every moment, if I knew I’d be coming back. To think of it as a one-time experience forces you to embrace every moment and drink in as much as possible, and I don’t want to reserve anything for later. No. I want to fill myself up with the sacredness of nature here, and spill it out onto every natural canvass I encounter; seek out the most mundane shrub or small hill and recognize, fully, that the same hand made all of it, that every leaf and blade of grass bears the mark of holiness.

So, flying. Today I experienced my first ever ‘extreme sport’: paragliding. There are not enough words to describe what it feels like to leap off of a mountain (literally) and soar for forty-five minutes of bliss. And for only $30! It costs the same to do the same thing in Dharamsala, but for only 15 minutes and off a hill. Waiting was a good life choice. I have to admit something here: I have exactly one great fear: heights. Naturally (or unnaturally, depending on who you are), I’ve worked for years to overcome this fear by climbing trees, big rocks, and other larger structures I won’t mention. Today, there was no fear. Driving the half-hour up the mountain, I felt only excitement. And the time to jump came so quickly and suddenly I didn’t have time to be afraid; there was just running and then nothing beneath my feet. I wouldn’t say I’ve conquered that fear, but the only word to describe today is exhilaration. Yes, I took videos, even one of my landing which was absolutely perfect; I didn’t fall or anything. I’ll post them soon. Pictures as well. Truly amazing.

I am officially done with seven weeks of volunteering, which means only nine more! Almost halfway home.

Thanks for reading another long post, and I hope this sincerely finds you happy and well! If there are any prayer concerns on your mind, please feel free as always to send me a message or email. I’d love to be praying for you.

Take care, and have a wonderful day!

In peace,

Aaron

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great Brother I am glad you are doing well Atlas. Sounds like you had some extreme fun. The Lord be with you.
    -Flash

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sad when people gaze on such magnificent surroundings and not know the God who created them. I am grateful to the Holy Spirit for giving you this faith, so that you can share it here so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete